What is SMILE Laser Eye Surgery?
Dougherty Laser Vision is proud to offer the latest in laser vision correction: ReLEx® SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction). SMILE is a one-step, one laser procedure that is less invasive than LASIK.
The ReLEx® SMILE procedure utilizes a femtosecond laser to cut an incredibly small incision in the cornea. Your doctor then removes a small piece of corneal tissue (called a lenticule) to permanently change its shape and decrease or eliminate the need for glasses and contacts.
Unlike LASIK, a ‘flap’ is not created during this procedure. The lack of a flap makes SMILE ideal for patients who practice contact sports like boxing or martial arts. Because the SMILE incision does not pass through corneal nerves like LASIK or PRK, there is less of a risk of dry eye symptoms.
How does ReLEx smile work?
A Lasik procedure used to involve cutting a flap and folding it back to remove corneal tissue point by point. On the other hand, ReLEx smile eye surgery is minimally invasive and makes laser vision correction possible without the need for a corneal flap.
Just one treatment step:
Relex Smile brings many factors together. The entire laser treatment is performed in a single treatment step.
• Gentle, with a shorter treatment time.
• No Odour and noise.
• Stable, regardless of ambient conditions or corneal properties.
Who is Relex Smile suitable for?
• Minimum age is 18 years old
• Short-sightedness of up to – 10 diopters
• Long-sightedness of up to +4 diopters
• Astigmatism up to 5 diopters
• Cornea must not be too thin
• No considerable deterioration in a person’s eyesight in the last 12 months
• Pregnant patients cannot receive Relex Smile treatment
• Relex Smile can not be used to treat cataracts
Advantages of Relex Smile:
• Very safe
• Minimal chance of complications during or after surgery
• Very gentle on the eye
• Very short recovery time
• Suitable for patients with severe cases of ametropia
• Suitable for patients with dry eyes
• Suitable for patients with thin cornea
• Short procedure